Sunday, October 4, 2009

Week Two: Getting Settled

I had the wonderful revelation on Thursday as I was driving back to South AIDS Support that I am starting to become more open and more myself with those that I've known since getting here, which means that I am starting to really settle in, which was the biggest unexpected blessing I had this week. (As a means of explaining, I've found that especially here, but everywhere really, I tend to be really quiet and keep to myself as I get a feel for the place and people.) I have a 9-5 gig at South AIDS Support, I have a church community, a few friends already, only thing that's missing is my own apartment. So far I've seen two: one that I couldn't actually see because someone was living in it and it was in a questionable area, and the other which was small, smelled funny, and had a woman living across that would drive me nuts. So, as Gloria at work said, "if you don't like it, don't take it; you'll find something." And so I wait and hope--and God keeps reminding me that things are done in His time, NOT mine. And so the lessons in patience continues.

I really am blessed to have had everything fall into place that I did. South AIDS Support started slowly this week, but it promises to be more than I could have hoped. I literally read from 9-5 on Tuesday, balancing my book with a wonderful book by some Hopkins doctors on the medical aspects of HIV. I did attend the support group on Monday night and despite a little initial apprehension, a couple of people who I started talking to beforehand put me right at ease. It looks like I have the beginnings of a patient base. Not only did they all welcome me completely, but they all also fully supported the work I want to do and are willing to help however they can. I've also met the secretary to the Minister of Labor, and some heads of a National AIDS group because I am helping with a forum on HIV in the workplace later in the month. Oh, and I am wicked excited--I will be able to attend an international HIV summit that takes place in Trinidad at the end of November. What an honor/amazing experience for someone like me! I start working in the clinic on Monday, which should yield some more interesting stories. I think I will mostly be referring people to South AIDS, but we'll see what comes of it. With the way things have happened, I really feel like I'm supposed to be here, like there's something I am supposed to be doing, only I don't know what it is and I really hope I don't miss it!

Otherwise, all is well. I wish I could begin to describe what it's like to have almost 200 people singing something a Capella in four parts with their hearts poured into it, but that's nearly impossible. It's incredible though, to be one voice as a part of it, and to feel the music swelling and ascending. I am grateful to Gabrielle, with whom I've spent the last two weekends, for being good company. Her house is like a paradise, with lemon, mango, pineapple, banana, and other fruit trees on two acres and many windows, and it's one of my favorite places on the island. We went to the beach yesterday, which was beautiful. The sea is a perfect green color, the sand pure, and the palm trees classic. We ended up spending some time crouched behind umbrellas pointing the direction of the sea (and wind), laughing at the absurdity of it, and dashing through downpours, changing with a wrap as a towel between car doors. Still, driving back, I was relaxed to the point of wanting to fall asleep--and you know how rare that is for me. Vanilla chamomile tea and a book of poetry, and life was perfect with the evening breeze caressing me.

I hope all is well with you all also! Happy 90th birthday, Grandma! I hope you enjoyed your party! Please write when you can and let me know! Love, and thanks for listening! :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh Nicki,
    Wow! Sounds like you really have your footing and a good direction! I am so proud of you!! Keep being brave...Youre amazing!!
    peace and love,
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete