Sunday, September 27, 2009

Initial Impressions

Trinidad is labeled a developing country, which makes sense--I think I wrote last time that my very first impression of the country was that it was a cross between Phnom Penh and the US, which isn't too far from the truth. There are parts of the country that are very Westernized; for one, there is a lot of fast food. Pizza Hut, Dominoes (I really wondered if there were pizza delivery scooters but didn't dare ask), Subway, TGI Friday's, Long John Silver, and KFC are among them--though interestingly, both Stanley and Gabrielle told me that McDonalds went out of business here (good for the Trini!). I guess beef just isn't their thing. Still, it kind of caught me off guard when Gabrielle took me to a film festival on Friday and outside the movie theater was a strip mall of fast food places! With the movie theaters, large Home Depot-esque stores, internet and cell phones being very prevalent, and other things though, you can really see Western edge.

Culturally, it is still very interesting. Despite there being two primary ethnic groups--the Afro-Caribbeans and the East Indians--on Trinidad, there isn't too much mixing of cultures. I know (and Stanley and Gabrielle are examples) that a mutual appreciation for the other culture also exists, but the East Indians live in separate areans pretty much from the Afro-Caribbeans. Still, the fact that so much diversity exists in an island the size of Delaware in relative harmony is nothing short of a miracle, same with the mosque and Hindu temple located within a few miles of each other (and of a KFC) in a predominanty East Indian neighborhood. Religion is huge here, particularly Christianity in the cities. It's not uncommon to see taxis, maxis, or other cars with some proclamation about Jesus in fancy script across the back window, or to hear Christian R&B music blaring from a car's speakers. At the same time though, hearing "Let there be peace on Earth" on the organ from the Anglican church across the street on my first Sunday brought with it an incredible sense of comfort.

So far, so good in Trinidad. I start working at South AIDS Support in the morning, a job that promises to be all I hoped and more, and I give a presentation on AIDS at an elementary school Wednesday morning. I am grateful to be kept busy already, and to hopefully begin a routine (as much as can be when you'll be late to your first day of work, miss half your third, and all of your fifth...my security briefing at the embassy is on Friday). I very much look forward to finding an apartment (more challenging than it sounds, since little is posted online or in the papers in San Fernando) and establishing a home here. Then I will really begin to feel comfortable here. Stanley has been wonderful as far as taking me places and getting me used to things, like taxis (tomorrow morning) and where various sites are. Gabrielle is a wonderful woman, and I am happy to know her. Her house in a more rural area is beautiful, and she promises to be a good friend while I am here. Bill and Marie-Claire also introduced me to Dominic and Annie (via email), and they have been wonderful as well, as far as taking me to church and helping me build a community there. I look forward to the next week continuing my progress of falling in love with Trinidad! Love to you all, and thanks for listening :)

No comments:

Post a Comment