Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Adjusting and Readjusting

I've officially been back in the US for two and a half weeks, and what a whirlwind it has been! My first week was mostly just coming off of jet lag and re-learning American culture. Coming back was definitely a shock to body and mind. I had no problem staying up later than planned when I came home, but then my body decided to wake up at 5am...so it took a little while for it to learn that nighttime is not a 4-hour nap, but rather a time to get 7-8 hours of good sleep. It was also interesting to go from the ship in Cambodia to what felt like being thrown into the heart of the consumerism in America--NYC. Don't get me wrong, I love NYC and am constantly fascinated by it. But as I was reminded by my $60 cab fare and $90 train fare, things cost more here. And then there are overpriced restaurants and souvenir shops shouting T-shirts with "I <3 NY" and trinkets no one really needs. I longed for the simpler life in the villages of Cambodia. (I still do.) It was wonderful to see a lot of the extended family when I came back, and to have a week where my brother and I were both home.

My second week took me to NY to visit Marist and all the friends there that this time, I won't see again for ten months (and that is a really strange thing to think about). I arrived on move-in day for the upperclassmen, which is when I (theoretically) would have moved in if I were still a Marist student (in reality, I never did; I always worked freshman move-in). That was strange. As I walked around Marist, I felt comfortable of course, but no longer at home. It was like I knew I didn't belong there anymore, knew I could no longer really call it home. Still, it was absolutely wonderful to see everyone, and to know how many people really care about me. To those I didn't get a chance to see, or didn't see for very long--I'm sorry! I wish I had had more time (why is it the only days I have that are significantly longer than 24 hours are days in which I'm flying? I don't need an extra 11 hours on a plane!). To those I did, thank you for making the time for me. And of course, thank you Maria for giving me a place to crash and to call home for the week! I am discovering that I am finding homes for myself all over the world.

All in all, adjusting to the US has been a challenge. As Dr. Dingman tells me, everything has changed and nothing has changed. I can feel it, and it is quite jarring, but I wouldn't trade it and the growth I know accompanies that for anything. My experience in Cambodia changed me in ways I cannot even begin to describe, and once you see poverty like that and have faces and smiles and human beings to accompany it, you can't forget it. I certainly hope and pray that I never will, and no matter what life brings, I will not lose those faces. In some ways, I tell people I am "rebelling against Western culture" in my quiet ways. For instance, I haven't worn shorts except to work out and sleep since I've been home. I didn't in Cambodia, and I was comfortable like that, so why change? It would feel strange to me any other way. I felt strange being in Starbucks so often last week after not having seen a single one in Cambodia.

You know, I don't think I'll adjust to the US before I leave for Trinidad, and that's not really a bad thing. (I will be en route in 11 days! I can hardly believe that!) I am looking forward to what's coming. Thank you to my family and all the friends I have seen since coming back to the states. You've all made me see how loved I am, and that means so much. I will take that with me and it will be an immense comfort as I am adjusting to life and making friends in Trinidad. Much love and prayers back to you all! Stay well. Thanks for listening :)

3 comments:

  1. Nicki- You are so amazing!! seems like you are really coming from a good place!! Good Luck with everything!! You will do great things!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reentry shock is, according to some scholars (and from personal experience!) significantly more difficult to deal with than culture shock! The theory is that because you expect all of these new and different things in your new place you can prepare yourself to some degree for the exciting adventures and have a contingency plan. Yet, because there is far less research on renentry shock is just that - shocking! I hope that writing down your feelings and finding people to talk to about what you have seen is helping you make some adjustments before you jet off again! It is indeed crazy to think that you are about to start a whole new set of adventures! Do you have a place to live yet?! <3 Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the shock! Oh boy is it a ride. It is interesting to hear you go through it. I bet this trip to cambodia really prepped you for trinidad....don't worry youll be onto a new culture shock soon enough...so, sip that latte slowly there missy!! lol love you

    ReplyDelete