Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas in Trinidad

This year marked my first Christmas away from home, and also my first Christmas in Trinidad. It was a little sad to be away from my family, and it certainly did not feel like Christmas with 85' weather, palm trees and no snow, but Christmas in Trinidad was beautiful all the same, and it reminded me how blessed I am to have so many people who care for me.

There are lights for Christmas, red and green, decorations. Most trees are fake (there is rather a shortage of evergreens in the tropics), but most families at least have a small one. Many begin to display immediately after October's Hindu festival of Divali (and as Rishi told me once, there are Hindu houses that use the lights straight through from Divali to Christmas). I stumbled upon carolers one evening while walking, a group of men, women, and children with a guitar. They left me smiling. Like in the US, turkey and ham are staples of Christmas dinner. Pastilles are another, like Mexican tamales, corn-batter surrounding chicken or pork (or vegetables...), wrapped in banana leaves and boiled. Fruitcake is another, and I've been told it really does last all year, provided you regularly douse it with cherry wine. Parang is Trini Christmas music, from the Spanish/Venezuelan influence. It is a Spanish music (now often infused with soca, which I'd try to describe but really wouldn't do justice; if you're curious, I'd recommend google), and to most Trinis, signifies Christmas. Nonprofits and clubs host parangs to raise money or gather people. South AIDS Support had one; I enjoyed it and would have more had I not been on my first day of the flu.

I had a quiet Christmas morning. I went for a walk; strangers were the first to whom I wished a Merry Christmas. Vidya came up quickly to drop a gift and give season's greetings. I talked to my family in the States and texted friends in both Trinidad and the US. And at 11:30, my friends Cindy and Patsy came to pick me up. I spent Christmas with my Trini family--Dominic, Annie, and Paul Dos Santos. The day held no exceptional stories or brilliant moments, but it was a lovely, lovely day. A few other couples from church came by. Annie cooked a fantastic dinner (and bless her, she cooked fish for me because I wouldn't eat the chicken or pork, and got me a single vegetarian pastille). We watched 2012 and had beautiful conversations. Most importantly, I felt at home and very loved. I am grateful to them all and for a first Christmas abroad I will treasure.

Saturday was Boxing Day--a British holiday, but since Trinidad was a Brisitsh colony once and loves to celebrate, now also a Trini holiday. Typically, Trinis stay home with family for Christmas and visit relatives and friends for Boxing Day. Fortunately, I have lots of friends and as such had much to do. I spent the morning with my "boss" (in quotes because technically, I don't work for anyone with my grant), who cooked me breakfast (consisting of a fruit and vegetable salad, fresh-squeezed orange juice, steamed fish, garlic bread, and fruit cake). I then spent the day with the Dimsoy family, my second Trini family. Kenneth and Denise are the parents, wonderfully warm human beings, and their kids are Tracey (18), Danielle (17), Nicolas (14) and Joelle (10). We went to the country (a beautiful inland area with short trees andw ide open spaces) to visit Kenneth's family, his wonderfully spry and very mobile 84-year-old father and 75-year old mother with a beautiful smile, as well as his brothers. Again, it was not so much a single moment, but a general feeling of being at home and loved that made the day special. Of course, I will treasure memories of walking with Kenneth, Joelle, and the lovely puppy Bubbles, and being constantly fed (our alcoholic dessert was rum raisin ice crean and fruitcake), and going back to the Dimsoys and playing a game with the family.

I am blessed to have an incredible (and large) family in Trinidad, nine brothers in Cambodia, and a wonderful, supportive family in the US. I am spending the week and into the new year in the States, visiting family and friends. This is a beautiful world. Thanks for listening, and Merry Christmas! :)

1 comment:

  1. NIcki....sounds like youve made a wonderful home for yourself! When exactly will you be in the states...I wanted to mail you a small check for the organization VIdya(?) is trying to start...Do I mail it to your house? can I write it out to you? just let me know <3

    ReplyDelete