Tuesday, December 22, 2009

What I Love

Trinidadians, as a whole. They are warm and friendly, and so many wish me a good morning as I pass. While I didn't get many lunch offers until people got to know me a little more (now I always have a few asking what I am doing after Sunday worship), nearly every person I've met has been friendly and welcoming, making sure I am doing all right, asking about my work. It's beautiful and has helped my transition from uncertain foreigner to one who feels at home, who feels it strange that she's only been here three months because things seem so familiar.

My work. As if I haven't said enough about it yet--I am living my dream, doing exactly what I'd hoped to do. It's really close to perfect, because I get to do a bit of medical work and help the doctors, but really all I am here to do is talk to people, so I really get to know them, and they me. I had a wonderful conversation earlier with a practical nurse, and love to do the HIV test counseling because it always results in the most amazing conversations about life. Here is a safe space; people are comfortable and open here, whereas they may not always be, and it's a privilege to provide.

The children. Vidya had her Christmas treat yesterday, and although I spent much of it running around and doing various things (including making two gift runs and alleviating a near-fiasco with a lack of Santa), I loved watching the kids. One girl is ten and lives at the home in Chaguanas. Her name is Priya; she is ten, likes math, wants to be a vet, and gave me a tremendous hug when I left. On Saturday, I went to a going-away/Christmas party for Dr. Terhi from clinic, and immediately became a favorite of her three-year-old daughter Amanda and a neighbor, Mila. And Friday night, at a dinner, my companions were 10-year-old Joelle from church and her 8-year-old friend Mareka, who struck me as very smart and well-spoken for someone her age. I mean, how many 8-year-olds will tell you someone is getting her DNA all over the gummy bears? And one girl, a six year old clinic patient, drew me a picture of Winnie the Pooh and told me to put it on my wall, which of course I did.

Trini English. It sounds like a combination of British English and translated English, which if you look at the country's history, it probably is. They drop the verb "to be" from sentences often (saying "I gone" or "I going" etc). Vexed is a favorite phrase, and much more fun than it's American equivalent of "pissed off." And you "carry" people places instead of bring them. I love it.

Trini food. Roti is most popular--a fried flat bread, which is quite good, especially with potatoes, pumpkin, or channa (chickpeas). I haven't yet had doubles (which most people here are surprised at), which are similar to roti, but I will. I've had callaloo (an okra and I don't know what else soup...one woman from church makes it really well and it's delicious on rice), aloo pies (with potato), pelau (a rice dish), pastels, even oysters! My favorite though is sahina, which is fried spinach. That is incredible. I also am addicted to plantain chips, fried plantain (which I can make), and these cookies with cocoa centers.

The ocean. I see it on my way to work every morning, need to just step out the back door of the clinic to see it at work.

Rain. Single clouds are most often what rains, while it is blue sky and sunny everywhere else. In NH, we have spot showers. Here, spot downpours from these clouds. Although the rain is heavy and loud, sometimes they don't even dampen the ground they are so brief. About once a month too, there are spectacular arcing rainbows. If it rains all day though, it's often heavy for chunks at a time and not even an umbrella can save you.

I am so grateful for the experience, so happy to have seven months still left. Love to you all and thanks for listening :)

No comments:

Post a Comment