Friday, November 6, 2009

Something I Don't Normally Do....

For all those reading that didn't get my email, I have a favor to ask. Please read the story and let me know if you can help! It's something really important to me, or else you know I wouldn't ask.

I moved into my apartment in Trinidad a month ago, in part being able to stay where I am because my landlady, Vidya, made some concessions in cost so that I could afford it. My first Saturday, after a quiet week, she invited me over for the Hindu festival of Divali. If I asked, she would be there. At Christmastime every year, Vidya singlehandedly organizes a Christmas treat for over 100 kids from three children’s homes. This year, she has arranged for use of a water park, horseback riding, a bouncy castle, food…and she buys each child a gift and prizes for contests. She is constantly working to supply their needs, and her love for the children and the work with them is apparent in talking to her. You can see her eyes glowing. She makes you excited, makes you want to help. I wish you all could meet Vidya. She's inspiring. She has that spark, that love.

It’s Vidya’s dream to build her own children’s home in South Trinidad. She has all the tools she needs; she works on the business end of construction and land purchase, and of course, she has the passion. She’s told me the story of one young girl from Port-of-Spain, a girl who won the dance contest, surprising everyone because normally, she’s very quiet. Her addicted mother had sold her body to earn drug money. Another child, three years old and motherless, is in need of a home with a drug-addicted father. There are so many more such stories in Trinidad, and Vidya is determined to build a place those children can call home, where they can receive love and opportunity and the ability to make their dreams reality.

I know Vidya well enough to know beyond doubt that she will build this home. And because I love her, because I love the work she does and what she is able to inspire, I want to do everything in my power to help her make this dream a reality. And that is why I am writing. In this Christmas season, where generosity flows, I am asking if you would be willing to donate and help Vidya build her children’s home. I know times are tough and many people ask, but I am asking you to please consider giving a little. There are $6TT/$1US, so a little bit can go quite a long way. People have helped make my dreams a reality; please help me help make Vidya’s dream one too. With the way she wants it run, her home will give possibly hundreds of kids the ability to dream at all.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Nicki...sounds wonderful...how do you propose people to help...I dont have much...but I could donate a little...send it by mail? let me know

    ReplyDelete