Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving in Trinidad

Yesterday was my first major holiday away from home, and also the first time I had hosted a major holiday myself, so it was difficult, exciting, and stressful all rolled into one. I certainly missed being with my family. On Thanksgiving at home, usually there is something like 30 people in my cousin's home in Western Massachusetts, and the day includes eating, laughter, and my 90-year-old grandmother playing the harmonica (last year we had four generations: my grandmother on the harmonica, my uncle playing the spoons, and my brother and my cousin's son playing guitar...quite a moment, really).

It didn't feel at all like Thanksgiving here. To begin with, it was something like 85 and sunny, which it is nearly every day. Green trees rustled in the slight breeze as I walked to Bamboo Junction to take a taxi to the clinic. I spent the morning (and a bit of the afternoon) in the clinic, dashing from place-to-place happily, pulling files, sticking needles in veins, smiling, talking, and handing out SAS brochures. The clinic day ended with Dr. Terhi (Finnish ID doctor who has been described by people here as a "white female rasta" because of her hair) and I (the two white girls) going into Ward 2 and taking the computer designated for use with HIV only but that hadn't yet made it to the clinic. At this point, it was 1:30, the time I had hoped to be home. I told people to come starting at 6. By the time I had made it through the grocery store, into a La Romaine taxi, and home, it was 2:30. I had less than four hours to cook everything and get things clean enough for nine people to come over. And so began an amazing cooking marathon. Somehow, by 6:10 (and my first two guests') arrival, I managed to get it all done.

The menu was marinated fish, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, stove-top stuffing, corn bread (made by Dave) and mixed vegetables (made by Patsy), with pumpkin pie and chocolate cake (mostly in case the pumpkin pie didn't come out, since it was my first venture with a gas oven and also with real not canned pumpkin)). My guests were Dominic, Annie, and Paul, the family from church I had been initially connected to and who have been amazing to me (I love them dearly), Cindy (my ride to church) and her mom Patsy (also a lovely woman), Dave (a fellow Fulbrighter who is also helping out with a fund raiser tonight), and Vidya (my wonderful landlady) and her (beautiful and incredibly sweet) daughter Jaiya. It was an eclectic mix, but everyone got along wonderfully and seemed like they had a good time. Outside of the fish, all the food ended up very good as well--someone even complimented me on how fluffy the potatoes were (not bad for not having an electric mixer!). The problem with the fish was that I bought saltfish (highly preserved fish), and didn't realize that to really get the salt off, you had to rinse it and boil it, and I didn't have time to look for instructions or try it so it was wicked salty, to put it mildly. Still, overall definitely a success.

In light of Thanksgiving, I'd like to say some things for which I am grateful. If I were to list them all, we'd all be here hours, if not days. I'm grateful for life, for the friends and family I have who have been unconditional in their support. I'm grateful for my faith, because it makes me strong. I am grateful for the things that have happened, especially in the past year, that have changed me. I'm grateful to have seen what I did and met those I did in Cambodia; I will never forget. I am grateful to be in Trinidad now, and to really be living a dream. I'm grateful for the people here who have helped me create a home. I am grateful for the work in the clinic and the opportunities that have been given to me. I am grateful for my health and the health of those I love. I'm grateful for moments of beauty, the sea and the moon and light, for having air conditioning when I sleep, for animals (especially my little friend here, who crashed Thanksgiving till we ate and Vidya almost literally had to drag him (in fact, she carried him) next door), for rain. I am grateful for language, for diversity, for smiles. I am grateful for those little unexpected acts of kindness that really do change the world forever. And I am grateful for you, of course. Thanks for listening :)

2 comments:

  1. Your constant optimism and ability to stay upbeat in what can be considered depressing situations is admirable and inspirational. I hope you keep that attitude forever, you can change the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicki....
    truely beautiful words...sounds like a wonderful thanksgiving...I am thankful for you...for keeping things in perspective for me...you are truely beautiful! stay strong...stay amazing...God is so with you in all of this! <3

    ReplyDelete